We value the personal stories of our clients. It is important to us that all clients are happy with the unique services and solutions we provide at Neurosensory.

  • Thank you Louise for the wonderful and professional assistance you provided in assessing my hearing and proposing a solution. I resisted hearing aids for some years, partially because I thought there would be a ‘stigma’ attached to wearing them and partially because I understood from others that they “took a lot of getting used to”. I’ve found the stigma to be nonsense and I’ve had no issues with adjusting to the hearing aids you recommended. They have certainly improved quite significantly, my ability to understand what is being said, whether it be in one-on-one conversations, in noisy restaurants, in movies, in business meetings, etc. So thank you.

    Lynn Mathews, New hearing aid recipient

    Lynn Matthews, New hearing aid recipient

  • “I have the greatest respect for Neurosensory and for Wendy Jennings who has assisted and advised me for many years re hearing aids, both selection and upgrading. Marvellous!!

    I was there when Neurosensory commenced its work at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital, and have watched its progress and service very closely and the long years since.

    I have always found the organisation to uphold high ethical standards of service and patient/client care and from someone on the “receiving end” that means much! I could not have asked for more.

    Pixie Annat, Kelvin Grove

  • “My hearing loss was not detected until I was about 4 years old.  I had the measles as an 18 month old and my single-sided deafness may have developed as a result.

    I am 37 now and pretty much have lived almost all my life with not being able to hear on my left side.  It was not until I attended my 1 year old daughter’s Queensland Healthy Hearing test that I learnt that new technology is now available to assist with single-sided deafness. 

    Since having my two children I really wanted to hear them when they spoke to me in the park and I felt I was missing out on conversations with them in restaurants.

    In March this year, I decided to go ahead with a hearing test at the Neurosensory Chermside clinic, I remember the clinician, Mitchell asking me “what you brings you here today”.  At the time it felt like a funny story, I knew I could not hear anything on my left side and at the end of the hearing test,

    Mitchell informed me “Yes, you are officially deaf in one ear”.  He then explained the options and technology available and I decided to trial a few hearing devices, which I took home and could trial in my own environment.

    I visited Dr Canty, an ENT surgeon at Northside ENT he explained the process and the operation.  I decided to go ahead with operation in June, even though my husband was concerned for me.  It has taken a few visits with clinician, Tom Garwood to fine tune to my hearing preference. Tom has been wonderful guiding me through the process and explaining and allowing me to trial different programs available, who would of thought that 12 months ago I would able to hold the phone to my left side and be able to hear!!!

    It has been a life changing event, I could never imagined that I would be able to hear my children in the park, not always having to sit at the end of the table to hear the conversation. I can now hear my husband talk when I am driving the car.  The battery life is very good lasting approximately 7 to 10 days, the only time I don’t wear my device is when I am in the shower or in bed, I can’t imagine my life without it”.

    Fiona King
    MED-EL Bonebridge recipient

    Fiona King, MED-EL Bonebridge Receipent

  • About twenty years again I first acted on doing something about my hearing loss, after having my hearing severely damaged whilst in the New Zealand Air Force, mainly due to the noise of the jet engines and the gun fire.

    In the 1990s, I started wearing my first set of hearing aids and eventually progressing to my fifth set.  Each set of hearing aids were more complex and sophisticated than the previous, however as my hearing loss deteriorated they were not aiding my hearing loss in everyday life.

    I then inquired about a cochlear implant, and in April 2012 had my first cochlear implant.  This changed my life, it was a miracle!.  My speech recognition understanding went from 28% with hearing aids, to immediately after the cochlear implant switch on, to 88% and then 1 week later 92%, remarkable almost perfect hearing!  Prior to this, my wife Jan and I had discussed about the use of sign language to communicate with each other.

    As my first cochlear implant was such a success, I asked my ENT surgeon Dr Brent McMonagle about a second implant and 4 months later went ahead with this.  Neurosensory clinician,  Alison Jackson turned on the second cochlear implant, it really has been life changing  ….I  now live a normal life, simple things like the confidence to go to a shopping mall on my own, answering my front door.  I can go everywhere on my own and it is a lot better for Jan and I, she doesn’t have to translate to me anymore.

    Alan Harmsworth, Bi-lateral cochlear implant recipient

  • Since I was first diagnosed with bilateral hearing loss as a teenager back in the 1960s, I had always been reluctant to do anything about it. I was 23 by the time I finally agreed to wear a hearing aid and then only in my right ear. And since those days, stronger hearing aids enabled me to live a full life, but not without many challenges along the way.

    Over the years, I found it increasingly hard to use the phone, and mobiles were near impossible. I used to have to ask family and colleagues to take messages or send texts. So much so, my work suffered and I had to find a job that didn’t require talking on the phone. In October 2010, I started a data entry contract role with Queensland Health, but still found that meetings were difficult and I missed a lot of important information. My relationships with my family and friends also suffered as it became increasingly stressful communicating properly in social situations.

    In late 2010, I finally decided to investigate the possibility of having a cochlear implant, taking the plunge in February 2011.

    And my response to the new cochlear implant system in my right ear has been incredible. Each day I’m truly amazed at what I can hear. I can use the phone, listen to the radio and watch TV without captions – all of which has opened up a whole new world for me. I’m much more relaxed with friends and family as I understand what’s going on around me and can mingle and chat easily. At meetings I can sit anywhere in the room and I never miss a thing. Even going out for dinner requires much less effort and I’m continually surprised at how confident I am now in both social and work environments.

    In the words of my family, friends and co-workers, I should have had a cochlear implant many years ago. Everyone around me has noticed a vast improvement in my general health and well-being and I have never been happier. I’m now treated like a normal person, rather than an invalid with a hearing aid. The cochlear implant is amazing and just perfect for me.

    Coralie Haslett, 62 years

  • Following call up to National Service on 19th April 1967, I sustained hearing damage in mid-January 1969 due to an explosion whilst on patrol in South Vietnam.

    Fortunately after my commitment to National service ended in 1969, I was able to return to my former role as a bank teller with the Bank of New South Wales. With the help of a government hearing service, lip-reading lessons, some understanding superiors, and a very understanding second wife Tricia, an ex-RPA nurse, I was able to remain employed until 1992, when I had to cease work at age 46 years, due to my severe deafness and other service related injuries.

    My forced retirement meant all of a sudden I became socially isolated and at times became the target of intolerant people’s comments and supposedly funny jokes and/or misunderstandings.

    By the late 1990s I had seen numerous hearing specialists, and had several spells in various Repatriation & Private Hospitals for war service related psychological conditions. Thanks to my loving wife Tricia, she persevered until she found someone who understood and cared in Professor Bill Gibson from the RPA Specialist Medical Centre, Camperdown, NSW. Professor Gibson immediately understood, explained the problems, and stated that I would be a “long-term candidate for a cochlear implant. However, at that time I was not eligible for a Cochlear implant as I still had some residual hearing capacity.

    By early 2009 my hearing in both ears (left still the worst) was very poor but not completely gone. I had a prolonged ear infection in both ears as a result of the flu, and numerous bouts of antiobiotics could not overcome the problem. Communication, if any was by yelling in my right ear and/or writing notes. Tricia became my interpreter and frankly, if she had left me, I would have understood why! I had to drop out of my various voluntary and committee roles as an advocate for Veteran’s Affairs pensions.

    During August 2010, my wife Tricia sought out Dr Ben Walwork, an Ear Nose Throat (ENT) surgeon at Greenslopes Private Hospital. As the infection was resistant to treatment, Dr Wallwork referred me to Dr Christopher Que Hee , an ENT surgeon who specialises in Cochlear implant surgery on Wickham Terrace, Brisbane.

    Dr Que Hee addressed the infection surgically. Then he assessed me for a Cochlear implant. As part of the Cochlear eligibility assessment process, I was tested by audiologist Michelle Nicholls at Neurosensory. Finally it was determined that I was eligible for the operation and Dr Que Hee inserted the magic Cochlear Ear. I had a few days in hospital and then had to wait to turn it on.

    Michelle from Neurosensory, turned on the Cochlear implant, and after several hours of her magical work I COULD HEAR………. For the first time in many years, I am even getting use to the normal life sounds, birds, telephone and strangely enough hearing the sounds of going to the toilet. I now understand my old bush banking customer Jim Lyon’s of Binnaway NSW who used to say, “ You going to the toilet..must be like dancing…without music. Thank God for Dr Que Hee and Michell Nicholls from Neurosensory.

    David Woodcock, 66 years

  • In April 2012 I purchased two Unitron Moxi 20s from Neurosensory. What amazing aids these are to hearing better.

    After wearing just one solid type aid for many years I was astounded at the range of adjustment areas available for Unitron Moxi 20s. After Wendy from Neurosensory at Greenslopes adjusted the aids for me, the clarity and quality of sound I am now experiencing is excellent.

    I can remember the gradual steps taken to becoming accustomed to wearing an aid years ago and the associated ear pain – that is a thing of the past.

    I wore my new aids for approximately half a day after the initial fitting and have worn them from waking each morning to going to bed at night ever since. They are easy to put in my ears and from a female point of view, not obvious because they are so small.

    I do not feel the need to endeavour to face people when they speak to me anymore. An added bonus for me is the fact that I have found that I do not need to remove them to hear on the phone.

    I am delighted with my aids. They have changed the quality of my life and given me greater confidence in social gatherings.

    I must admit to forgetting my Moxi 20s are even in my ears.

    Margaret Elliott, 66 years

  • The Neuromonics programme was my last resort for tinnitus after trying everything from changing my diet, acupuncture, natural therapies to hypnosis, all of which did nothing to help me.

    I was very sceptical at first about trying the Neuromonics treatment but after a lot of perseverance and patience much to my surprise, it helped me regain my quality of life again and no longer be disturbed by my tinnitus.

    It worked for me.

    Sonia Brodie, 46 years